- Smiling Mind (Free): Guided meditation for ages 7 to adult. “Smiling Mind is a unique web and app-based program developed by psychologists and educators to help bring balance to people’s lives. Just as we eat well and stay fit to keep our body healthy, mindfulness meditation is about mental health and looking after the mind” (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smilingmind.app&hl=en).
- Headspace: Guided meditation with animation. The description states “We’ll help you focus, breathe, stay calm, perform at your best and get a better night’s rest through the life-changing skills of relaxation, meditation and mindfulness” (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.getsomeheadspace.android). The basic version of this app is free.
- Healing Buddies Comfort Kit (Free): Guided practice of skills for pain and nausea. “Coping with pain is difficult, especially for kids. But there are many methods available to manage their pain beyond taking medication. Scientific studies demonstrate that kids can learn techniques to harness their body and mind’s capacities, relying on their own internal system to heal naturally” (http://www.healingbuddiescomfort.org/).
- Calm IN THE STORM (Free): A website and free app for coping with the stresses of life
- Mindshift (Free): “MindShift is an app designed to help teens and young adults cope with anxiety. It can help you change how you think about anxiety. Rather than trying to avoid anxiety, you can make an important shift and face it…MindShift will help you learn how to relax, develop more helpful ways of thinking, and identify active steps that will help you take charge of your anxiety” (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bstro.MindShift).
- Pain Squad (Free): “Join the fight against pain! Enlist in the Pain Squad™ today and search for clues to put pain where it belongs … behind bars. The Pain Squad™ electronic pain diary is a tool created for kids with cancer to fight back against their pain…”(https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pain-squad/id929781246?mt=8). This app is only available for iOS devices.
Biofeedback is a technique you can learn to control some of your body functions such as your heart rate, the temperature of your hands and feet, your breathing or your muscle tension. This technique may help to improve symptoms such as pain. The Mayo Clinic provides excellent information about biofeedback, its types and how it works; you can find the summary here. There are some resources available:
- About Hand Warming Biofeedback: “The main goal of hand-warming biofeedback is to measure your level of stress via your skin temperature, allowing you to consciously change your stress level to appropriately meet the circumstances. The more stressed you are, the lower the temperature in your hands, feet, and other extremities. The lower your stress level, the higher the temperature. Cold hands are tense, warm hands are relaxed!” (https://bio-medical.com/resources/about-hand-warming-biofeedback/).
- Heartmath software: “Inner Balance™ gets your heart, mind, and emotions in sync to improve health, well-being and performance” (http://www.heartmath.com/Inner Balance).
Last Updated: July 24, 2019